Tuesday, October 4, 2011

removing wax buidup on wood surfaces

We have an amazingly beautiful dining room table that I really love.  Previously though, my husband had used a dusting product on it with beeswax that caused a heavy buildup of wax.  When we would sit our coffee cups on the table, once removed we would have a white ring from the wax build up. 

I have been working on removing all the layers of build up over the last year and slowly but surely it is a process.  There are two methods that I am using.  One is a combination of white distilled vinegar with equal parts water.  Clean repeatedly will remove the excess wax.  Or any wood cleaner/wax buildup remover will do.  I have used the Holloway House Wood Cleaner.  Once used, wipe off with clean cloth and then use a wood oil product to condition the table.  Use products as directed. 
This is a white ring left on our table by the wax buildup. 


This is the table after the wood cleaner and once I applied the Wood oil.    

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks awesome. Will have to try this. What kind of oil do you use?

Amber said...

The good ole trusted Old English! I also use that on our china cabinet. It's a lighter wood and it just shines when I condition it! It's gorgeous!