Friday, October 7, 2011

Betty Crocker Banana Nut Bread

Freshly made banana nut bread! Yum!
My mom bought me my first Betty Crocker Recipe cookbook when I was about 20 years old.  This recipe I have had for years and is my favorite.  It has a great flavor and density to it. These pages in this cook book are the most used with the ingredients that have been spilled on it over the years.








1 Cup Sugar
1/3 cup margarine or butter, softened
2 eggs
1 1/2 mashed ripe bananas (3-4 medium)
1/3 cup water
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Heat oven to 350F.  Grease bottom only of loaf pan. 8 12/X4 1/2X2 1/2 or 9x5x3 inches.  Mix sugar and margarine in 2 1/2 quart bowl. Stir in eggs until blended. Add bananas and water: Beat 30 seconds. Stir  in remaining ingredients except nuts just until moistened: stir in nuts. Pour into pan. Bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.  8-inch loaf 1 1/4 hours, 9-inch loaf 55-60 minutes: cool 5 minutes. Loosen sides of loaf from pan: remove from pan.  Cool completely before slicing.  1 Loaf (24 slices); 120 calories per slice.

*Do not use self-rising flour in this recipe.

5 comments:

joy said...

Odd coincidence: This was the first recipe I ever asked my mom for after I moved out. Its always been one of my favorites, too!

Amber said...

I have made banana nut bread about 6x's in the last month. lol. I was playing around with recipes on the internet. Didn't really find one that had a really good flavor so I went on the search for my cook books and ran across my Betty Crocker cook book and found that ole' familiar page. The memories came rushing back and my husband said that was it!! He liked that recipe the best. It's a good one for sure. Just don't over cook the bread or it will be too dry. In our electric oven, these loafs are done in 45 minutes.

Shelly said...

Thank you so very much for this recipe! I lost my old betty crocker cookbook several years ago after relocating to Texas and have been missing this recipe ever since! I made this many times as my kids were growing up and it always made the best, moistest banana bread ever! The trick is to ripen your bananas as much as possible...a good gauge is when you "think" they are ready to be thown out...Thank you again!

Unknown said...

I've destroyed that page in my cookbook, batter splatter, lol. Thanks so much for posting it. It really is the best banana bread recipe, hands down!

Amber said...

@ Joy, Yes, it is certainly the most used page in mine too!! LOL, Feel free to befriend me on Facebook as well! Amber Orahood-Strock :)